Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Pine Walk

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Clarke College
Original/Historic Place Name: Aisle of Pines
Location on Campus: south side fo Clarke Dr.
Date(s) of Construction:
1884pines planted Knight, William J.
Designer: William J. Knight
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1884-present (2006)outdoor space
 

Narrative:
Because the original campus was built upon the site of old lead mines there was a need for beatification of the grounds. To this end, William J. Knight, an early benefactor of the institution, purchased 1000 pine trees and had them planted in a series of campus walks.
 

References:

Mulholland, Mary Ambrose. Clarke Lives! Dubuque, IA: Clarke College, 1993.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006