Art Gallery (in Trevor Arnett Hall) and John Hope gravesite (adjacent to Arnett Hall)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Atlanta Gallery contains the historical collection of African-American art from the African-American artists' competition at Atlanta University during the period 1942-1970. It is one of the largest and most representative collections of African-American artists during this period.
The John Hope gravesite is located on the quadrangle just to the south of the Trevor Arnett building, which houses the art gallery. John Hope was the only college president (black or white) to attend a protest meeting in New York on May 9, 1919, which resulted in the founding of the NAACP. Hope became the president of Atlanta University on July 1, 1929 during its transition to a graduate university. He was also instrumental in securing funding for the Atlanta University housing project, which was the first low-rent housing project in the United States, funded during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration. John Hope died on February 20, 1936. After his service, his body was carried by the students to a simple grave on the campus quadrangle below what had been his office. In January 1944, the Liberty Ship John Hope was launched from Richmond, California. It was one of seven ships named for an African-American.
Lyon, Elizabeth A., and Dan Durett. Atlanta University Center District [including Clark Atlanta University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1976.