Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Beatty House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Chatham College
Original/Historic Place Name: private home
Location on Campus: Woodland Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1890original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: wood shingles
Roof: shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1890-1948private residence (of William H. Rea)
ca. 1948-1968residence hall
ca. 1968-1998other (offices)
ca. 1998-present (2006)other (alumni and development offices)
 

Narrative:
The Beatty House, built ca. 1890, is a Shingle style structure that was originally the home of William H. Rea. It was bequeathed to the college in 1948 by Mary C. Rea. Used as a dormitory until 1968 and subsequently for offices, the building was restored and rehabilitated for use as alumni and development offices in 1998. The building houses approximately 30 women.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006