Andrew Mellon Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This Tudor revival building was donated to the college by Paul Mellon in 1940. The Mellon estate was comprised of six acres and included tennis courts and a garage. In 1971, the Paul R. Anderson Dining Hall (Johnstone, McMillan & Associates) was added to the south end of the house. The addition is sympathetic in style and has a minor impact on historic fiber (it attaches to the former kitchen and service wing of the house). Originally a dormitory, the House served as the Office of Admissions from 1971 to 1999. In 1998, the second and third floors were restored and rehabilitated for use as administrative offices; the basement ballroom was adapted for use as a meeting room and boardroom and an elevator was installed in an inconspicuous location to meet ADA requirements. The ornate first floor rooms are used for meetings and special events. A large garden terrace at the rear of the building stands over a basement swimming pool and bowling alley.