Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Levermore Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Adelphi University
Original/Historic Place Name: Levermore Hall
Location on Campus: South Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1928original construction McKim, Mead & White
Designer: McKim, Mead & White
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick and concrete
Roof: slate
ca. present (2006)admissions office
ca. present (2006)administration (Student Financial Services)

Opened in 1929, Adelphi University was one of the first universities built on Long Island. The campus's three original buildings--Levermore Hall, Blodgett Hall, and Woodruff Hall--were designed by McKim, Mead & White, an East coast architectural firm with a national reputation. Although the buildings have undergone some necessary renovations, they retain their original design.


The Architecture of McKim, Mead & White in Photographs, Plans and Elevations. Mineola, NY: Dover Publications, 1990.

Greenberg, Allen. Monograph of the Work of McKim, Mead & White 1879-1915. New York: Architectural Book Publishing Company, 1991.

McKim, Mead & White. Recent Buildings Designed for Educational Institutions. Philadelphia: Beck Engraving, 1936.

Roth, Leland. McKim, Mead & White, Architects. New York: Harper & Row, 1983.

Wilson, Richard Guy. McKim, Mead & White Architects. New York: Rizzoli, 1983.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006