Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
"C" Gate

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Central Methodist University
Original/Historic Place Name: Davis Athletic Field Entrance
Location on Campus: Davis Field
Date(s) of Construction:
1926-1927original construction
Designer:
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1927-present (2006)other (Davis field entrance and ticket booth)
 

Narrative:
Davis Field entrance or the "C" Gate is a simple structure built with a symbolic and utilitarian purpose in mind. It consists of four square pillars arranged so that the two largest form the main entry and are in turn flanked by the two smaller pillars forming a secondary entrance and egress from the field. The main pillars are both hollow to house the ticket booth function and constructed of rough cement stone blocks, and are capped by a large pediment surmounted by a metal eagle with wings extended. The smaller two pillars are of similar construction but not connected by the cement overhead between the main pillars.
 

References:

Central Methodist College Campus Master Plan. Central Methodist University, Fayette, MO.

Tucker, Frank C. Central Methodist College: One Hundred and Ten Years. Nashville: Parthenon Press, 1967.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006