| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Central Methodist University |
Original/Historic Place Name: Little Gym, Old Gymnasium
Location on Campus: North end of campus
Date(s) of Construction:
| 1906||original construction |
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
| Materials: |
|Roof: aspalt shingles|
|ca. 2004-present (2006)||classrooms (including athletic training rooms)|
|ca. 2004-present (2006)||administration (athletic offices)|
This modified Renaissance Revival building features a medium hip, shingled roof and buttresses on each side. The red brick building has stone lintels over each window and at the top of each buttress. Elaborate stone carvings in Baroque patterns are placed at each end of the front façade. Two plaques with garland and geometric patterns bear the dates 1857 and 1906. The gymnasium cost $10,000 to construct and was damaged in a fire in 1961and then re-modeled.
Central Methodist College Campus Master Plan. Central Methodist University, Fayette, MO.
McVicker, Maryellen H., Larry Dimond, June Thade, Bartlett Jones, and Sue Koch. Central Methodist College Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.