| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This three story Italianate style building is the oldest building on the original Central College campus. Sometimes referred to as the College Building, it was built to replace the Howard High School building after it had burned down. Classes began in Brannock on September 28, 1857 and except for a period during the Civil War when the college was ordered closed, 1864-1865, the building has been in continual use for some type of educational purpose.
Brannock is a T-shaped, three story building constructed of brick in the stretcher bond pattern with a medium gable, shingled roof. The front façade is flanked by two square towers, originally of unequal height. A boxed pediment with a circular window and plain cornice is between the towers; quoins are on the ends of the building. A belt course runs between the first and second floor. The side facades have boxed pediments identical to the front. In 1911, three Roman arches were added to form a porch between the towers, and an identical porch was added to the rear of the building. The red brick was painted white in 1955 and returned to the original brick color in 1995. The building is in excellent condition.
Central Methodist College Campus Master Plan. Central Methodist University, Fayette, MO.
Tucker, Frank C. Central Methodist College: One Hundred and Ten Years. Nashville: Parthenon Press, 1967.