Boliou Memorial Art Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Designed and built in 1949-1950, the Boliou Memorial Art Building was financed in part through a surprise gift of nearly $150,000 from George H. Boliou of Waltham, Minnesota. The first post-World War II building on campus, Boliou has also been described as Carleton's "first modern building" and its only "horizontal skyscraper". This first modern limestone building overlooking Lyman Lakes was designed by the Minneapolis firm of Magney, Tusler and Setter, with John Lindstrom as the partner in charge.
Carleton College Database (2006). Carleton College Facilities, Management and Planning Office. Carleton College, Northfield, MN.
Headley, Leal A., and Merrill E. Jarchow. Carleton: The First Century. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1966.
Jarchow, Merrill E. Carleton Moves Confidently Into Its Second Century. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1992.
Jarchow, Merrill E. Educator, Idealist, Humanitarian, Donald J. Cowling. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1974.
Jarchow, Merrill E. In Search of Fulfillment: Episodes in the Life of D. Blake Steward. St. Paul, MN: North Central Publishing Company, 1974.
Jarchow, Merrill E. Private Liberal Arts Colleges in Minnesota: Their History and Contributions. Saint Paul, MN: Historical Society, 1973.
Jarchow, Merrill E., and David H. Porter. Carleton Remembered 1909-1986. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1987.
Leonard, Delvan L. The History of Carleton College. Chicago: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1904.
Pearson, Marjorie, and Charlene K. Roise, Carleton College Campus: An Historical Survey. Minneapolis, MN: Hess, Roise and Company, 2001.
Soth, Lauren. Architecture at Carleton: A Brief History and Guide. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1987.