Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Scoville Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Carleton College
Original/Historic Place Name: Scoville Memorial Library
Location on Campus: 105 College St. North
Date(s) of Construction:
1896original construction Patton & Fisher
Designer: Patton & Fisher (Chicago)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Romanesque revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: sandstone
Walls: sandstone
Roof: slate
 
Function:
ca. 1956library
1986-present (2006)administration (including media services, multicultural affairs office, student support services)
ca. 2004-present (2006)student union (women's center)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (student writing tutorial services)
 

Narrative:
This building was named for James W. Scoville, a director of the Chicago Theological Seminary and a supporter of Carleton College. Scoville housed the college library until 1956, at which time it was remodeled to serve as classroom space and faculty offices. As of 1986, it held the media center and administrative offices.

James W. Scoville and President Strong had studied at the Chicago Theological Seminary together. Because the Chicago architectural firm of Patton and Fisher had previously designed Scoville-funded libraries at Oak Park, Illinois and Beloit College (Wisconsin), another Congregational institution, the firm was commissioned to design the Romanesque Revival structure at Carleton as well. Both Goodsell and Scoville owe much to the architecture of H. H. Richardson, whose work was the inspiration for many institutional buildings throughout the United States. Two other comparable Romanesque Revival academic buildings in Minnesota are Pillsbury Hall (1887-1989) and Nicholson Hall (1890) at the University of Minnesota. Both buildings were designed by the firm of Minneapolis architect Leroy Buffington. Scoville is on the west side of the campus, south of Willis Hall. The construction of the various science buildings is indicative of the rising importance of these areas of study in collegiate curriculums. By the late nineteenth century, the development of the library as a specialized building type to house the output of rapidly expanding knowledge was of increasing importance.
 

References:

Bloomberg, Britta. Scoville Memorial Library [Carleton College]. Inventory report. St. Paul, MN: State Historic Preservation Office, Minnesota Historical Society, 1981.

Carleton College Database (2006). Carleton College Facilities, Management and Planning Office. Carleton College, Northfield, MN.

Headley, Leal A., and Merrill E. Jarchow. Carleton: The First Century. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1966.

Jarchow, Merrill E. Carleton Moves Confidently Into Its Second Century. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1992.

Jarchow, Merrill E. Educator, Idealist, Humanitarian, Donald J. Cowling. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1974.

Jarchow, Merrill E. In Search of Fulfillment: Episodes in the Life of D. Blake Steward. St. Paul, MN: North Central Publishing Company, 1974.

Jarchow, Merrill E. Private Liberal Arts Colleges in Minnesota: Their History and Contributions. Saint Paul, MN: Historical Society, 1973.

Jarchow, Merrill E., and David H. Porter. Carleton Remembered 1909-1986. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1987.

Leonard, Delvan L. The History of Carleton College. Chicago: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1904.

Pearson, Marjorie, and Charlene K. Roise, Carleton College Campus: An Historical Survey. Minneapolis, MN: Hess, Roise and Company, 2001.

Soth, Lauren. Architecture at Carleton: A Brief History and Guide. Northfield, MN: Carleton College, 1987.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006