Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Calvin Theological Seminary

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Calvin College
Original/Historic Place Name: Calvin Theological Seminary
Location on Campus: 3201 Burton SE
Date(s) of Construction:
1959original construction Fyfe, William Beye Perkins + Will Architects
1976construction information unknown
2002construction information unknown
Designer: William Beye Fyfe; Perkins & Will Architects
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII, Contemporary (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick, common
Roof: low slope, wide eaves
1959-present (2006)other (seminary)

This building complex was the first on the Calvin campus. With small scale buildings grouped around a courtyard, its significance is due to sensitive site planning and low-key architecture. Its position next to a small pond provides an air of meditation appropriate to its nature as a post-graduate learning center.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006