| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Carriage House on the Woodcrest Estate was not only functional; it was placed within the landscape to clearly pronounce a sense of arrival and set the stage for the Manor House directly on axis. It is grand in its own right, reflecting the same architectural detail as the Mansion, the two buildings together truly suggesting a sense of place. Complemented by the original pump house, gate house, pool house, and remnants of the original farm, the collection comes together to clearly suggest this was a truly grand estate with a full complement of amenities
This particular carriage house was grander than most on the Main Line. As an original building, it assisted the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart in both their religious and educational pursuits. In its time, it was considered "well engineered" as both a stable and a carriage house, as well as living quarters. This prominent structure speaks to a culture and gentry life-style prior to that of the automobile.
Kathrens, Michael C. American Splendor: The Residential Architecture of Horace Trumbauer. New York: Acanthus Press, 2002.
Morrison, William. The Main Line Country Houses, 1870-1930. New York: Acanthus Press, 2002.