Our Lady of Grace Chapel
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Our Lady of Grace chapel was designed by Barry Byrne and completed in 1959. In 1902, Byrne started his architectural studies at the Frank Lloyd Wright studio in Chicago. A large part of Byrne's practice was in church architecture, and he was the first American to design a Catholic church outside of the United States. Byrne is associated with the American Prairie School of architecture.
The Style and design of the chapel is very compatible with the other buildings on campus. Adjacent to the chapel is a small courtyard dedicated to St.Francis which contains a statue of Francis and Anthony. The chapel originally had a tower which had to be removed because of structural damage.
Architectural and landscape master plan collection. Archives, Bishop Mueller Library, Briar Cliff University, Sioux City, IA.