| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Arch was constructed in 1934 at the request of the female members of Brewton-Parker's Board of Trustees. School legend relates that it was constructed of bricks from the Sallie Bacon Dining Hall, which burned on April 16, 1933. The school was founded as The Union Baptist Institute to signify the union between the two Baptist Associations that were instrumental in establishing the school, and for the union between the towns of Mount Vernon and Ailey, who jointly submitted a bid to secure the school's location. One leg of the Arch stands in Mount Vernon and the other in Ailey, signifying the local community's original commitment to the school.
Brewton-Parker College Catalog. Mount Vernon, GA: Brewton-Parker College, [n.d.].