| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Gates Hall is the only surviving building of the Union Baptist Institute, founded in 1904. Known as the Main Academic Building, it was the site of all courses offered by the school at that time, ranging from the first to the eleventh grade. All student body functions were held in its auditorium, including graduation exercises; chapel services; and musical, dramatic, and literary performances. During the summer of 1959 significant improvements were made to the building, including the interior renovation of office space and the addition of Doric columns to the front of the edifice, drastically improving the aesthetics of the historic building. Circa 1961 the building was named Gates Hall in honor of Albert Martin Gates, president of the institution from 1922 to 1941. It remained a classroom/administrative building as the institution progressed to a junior college and eventually Brewton-Parker College. It presently houses the administrative offices, and the auditorium continues to host drama productions each semester.
Brewton-Parker College Catalog. Mount Vernon, GA: Brewton-Parker College, [n.d.].