| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Given by the William Herbert Stockham family, this side-gabled residence has been the home of Birmingham-Southern College presidents since 1925. It is a two-and-a half story, red varitone brick structure with a five-bay main block and drop-roof side extension on both sides. It has a slightly recessed central entry with a one-story porch stoop and a balustraded roof supported by four Tuscan columns, paired to either side, with a flat cornice and dentil molding. Above the entry on the second floor story is a tripartite casement window. Three gabled dormers are across the front roof with round-head six-over-six sash windows and framing pilasters; there is a small shed dormer on the rear roof. Windows are six-over-six wood sash with shutters; the east extension contains a picture window in front, and there is a skylight in the west main roof. There are two chimneys, one at the east end of the main block and a taller one at the rear of the west extension. There is also a one-story extension or addition at the west rear, with its gabled roof running parallel to the main roof.
The gracious, Georgian-revival style of President's House adds significantly to the look of the campus and is associated with its distinguished residents. It was built for President Guy Everett Snavely, who had heretofore been living with his family in a frame dormitory.
Nelson, Linda, and Michelle Crunk. Birmingham-Southern College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1999.
Parks, Joseph Howard, and Oliver C. Weaver. Birmingham-Southern College, 1856-1956. Nashville, TN: Parthenon Press, 1957.
Stayer, Samuel N., and Robert G. Corley. View from the Hilltop: The First 125 years of Birmingham-Southern College. Birmingham: Birmingham-Southern College, 1981.