| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Kaufman House was the residence of Dr. E. G. Kaufman and was built near the start of his 20-year Bethel College presidency. Kaufman also served as Vice-President and professor of sociology at the college. Kaufman is known at Bethel for his long presidency during which the college thrived, as the person most responsible for Bethel becoming the first Mennonite college to receive academic accreditation, and as arguably one of Bethel's finest teachers. He was also an astute investor and fortunately for Bethel, adopted the "college as a child." He is known throughout the Mennonite Church for his intellectual religious writing.
Kaufman House was built from scrap lumber taken from a Newton, Kansas home that was being torn down. Extended family built the home based on a floor plan by Jacob Daum. Local people were not impressed with the finished building and commented that it looked like a "cow without a tail."
Jehnke, James C. Creative Crusader. North Newton, KS: Bethel College, 1994.
Edmund George Kaufman House Papers [unprocessed manuscript collection]. Archives, Bethel College, North Newton, KS.
Wedel, Peter. The Story of Bethel College. North Newton, KS: Bethel College, 1954.