| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Old Main was constructed in 1910 and 1911 to be the first of several buildings for a Lutheran Women's College. The building is constructed with concrete and wooden beams, and a soft red brick manufactured in Mankato and used in many local buildings, some of which still stand. Joined to it to the north is a classroom building. A similarly constructed but larger conservatory/music building was to be constructed at the south end. The latter as well as other planned buildings were never constructed. A shortage of money prevented even the completion of interior painting until 20 years later. The women's college failed in 1926 and was purchased by the a small Norwegian Lutheran church body and became co-ed.
Until 1959, this building housed the entire campus population, including a few faculty members. Chapel, dining room, and some classes, as well as the administration and library were housed there. It represents the history of the institution until 1969 when, in addition to a gymnasium constructed in 1959, a men's dormitory and a library were constructed on the campus. Since then the campus has grown considerably, with six buildings constructed since 1990, all of red brick with Kasota stone trim.