Ford Hall (Main Campus)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Ford Hall, under construction from 1924 to 1926, served as the dining hall for the Martha Berry School for Girls until 1956, and as the dining hall for the female students at the college until 1978. This building, one of the most distinct of the Ford Quadrangle, was modeled after the dining hall at Christ College, Oxford. The Fords played an active role in designing and furnishing the Dining Hall, down to such details as appliance placement and the china on which meals were served. Above the entrance of the hall appears, "Give us this day our daily bread," which Martha Berry selected from several phrases offered by the architect. The large stained glass windows and majestic, highly situated beams of the interior are fine examples of Neo-Gothic architecture.
After 1978, Ford Hall was used in a variety of capacities--as an interim theatre, a band hall, and for various campus social functions. Ford Hall was renovated in 2001-2003 and is currently utilized as part of Berry's new Alumni Center.
Berry Trails: An Historic and Contemporary Guide to Berry College. Third edition. Mt. Berry, GA: Berry College, 2001.
Martha Berry Papers. Berry College Archives, Mount Berry, GA.
Papers of the Office of the Industrial Manager. O. C. Skinner series. Berry College Archives, Mount Berry, GA.
Thomas, Kenneth H., Jr. The Berry Schools [Berry College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.