Old Mill Wheel (Mountain Campus)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Constructed in 1930 to provide a means of harnessing the energy from the schools' water resources to grind corn grown on campus into meal for bread, thus enabling the school to become even more self-sufficient. The Old Mill's iron hub was originally in use at Hermitage, an early manufacturing community approximately 15 miles from Berry. The wooden overshot waterwheel, which is 42 feet in diameter, was constructed by student workers. Henry Ford, benefactor of the school, saw the importance of the water wheel to the schools' self-sufficiency and supported it accordingly. The mill was one of his favorite places to visit on campus, and he played an active role in funding the reservoir and pipeline system that supplies water to the mill.
During 1977 the wheel was completely rebuilt as a cooperative project involving Berry students, staff, alumni, and friends; and in 1985 physical-plant staff and student volunteers restored the mechanism and made the grinding of corn meal possible once again. The Old Mill is well-maintained and used an average of six times a year to grind corn into meal, at which time it is opened to the public. The mill is designated a Georgia Historic site and remains one of the most-photographed places on campus.
Berry Trails: An Historic and Contemporary Guide to Berry College. Third edition. Mt. Berry, GA: Berry College, 2001.
Martha Berry Papers. Berry College Archives, Mount Berry, GA.
Thomas, Kenneth H., Jr. The Berry Schools [Berry College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.