Hoge Building (Main Campus)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Hoge Building is located on the southeastern portion of the campus and is Berry College's second oldest structure, and the oldest still in active use. The Hoge building was erected in 1905 after a campaign for funds that attracted many small donations. Built by students, the Hoge building was originally designed as a recitation hall with five classrooms and a principal's office on the first floor and an auditorium and library on the second. The building is named in memory of E. H. Hoge, the school's first comptroller.
When a new recitation hall opened in 1922, the Hoge building became the administration building. Martha Berry's offices were on the second floor; the offices of other administrative officials were downstairs. The building was used as an administration building for more than 40 years, until 1964. During its history, the building has also functioned as a post office, and as the home of the music department, the department of continuing education, and the agriculture department. In 1962, a fire partially damaged the second floor, creating a need for renovations.
Presently (2004) the building houses the handicrafts department (weaving labs), the Center for Teaching Excellence, the Office of Faculty Research, and a renovated replica of Martha Berry's office. The building is maintained by the college and serves as a reminder of Berry's educational journey.
Berry Trails: An Historic and Contemporary Guide to Berry College. Third edition. Mt. Berry, GA: Berry College, 2001.
Dickey, Ouida, and Doyle Mathis, eds. Martha Berry: Sketches of Her Schools and College. Atlanta: Wing Publishers, 2001.
Martha Berry Papers. Berry College Archives, Mount Berry, GA.
Thomas, Kenneth H., Jr. The Berry Schools [Berry College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.