Lillian E. Dimmitt Alumni House
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This Colonial revival-style house was built in 1921 by Lillian E. Dimmitt, a classics professor at the University of the Northwest and Morningside College from 1893 to 1965. It is the only remaining faculty home of several that used to line Peters Avenue. Miss Dimmitt left her house to the College in her will.
The deteriorated building was renovated and opened as the Lillian E. Dimmitt Alumni House in 1983. Many of the original details were retained and the building is furnished much like a home, with some items having been donated by former students. Upstairs rooms are occasionally used as college staff offices, while the first level serves as a place for meetings or receptions.
Orwig, Timothy T. Morningside College: A Centennial History. Sioux City, IA: Morningside College Press, 1994.
Orwig, Timothy T. Morningside College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1997.