College Square (Edwards Building)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The construction of College Square, also known as the Edwards Building, was supervised by the College. Bricks were fabricated by students and their fathers at the College Brick Yard at Rucker's Knob (Dead Horse Knob), and students were also responsible for construction as part of their industrial training classes under the direction of Josiah Burdett. The style is Beaux-Arts classicism. It is symmetrical with a central stairwell.
College Square has served as U. S. Post Office (1929-1962); as the home of the men's Foundation School and vocational men's classes until 1968; and has also housed a bakery, broomcraft shop, a candy kitchen, and the Printing Office for the Berea Citizen. Today it houses administration and development offices.