Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Pioneer Memorial

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Dana College
Original/Historic Place Name: Pioneer Memorial
Location on Campus: 2848 College Dr.
Date(s) of Construction:
1947original construction Ingemann, William M.
Designer: William M. Ingemann (St. Paul, MN)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII, Other (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: plaster
Roof: tile
 
Function:
ca. 1947classrooms
ca. 1947other (post office)
ca. 1947chapel
ca. 1947administration
ca. 1947library
presentclassrooms
presentadministration
 

Narrative:
Pioneer Memorial signifies the ties the college and seminary have with Denmark. Although Trinity Seminary is no longer located on the Dana College campus, the building is a reminder of the connection between the college and the church.

Pioneer Memorial has undergone a number of renovations and currently houses mostly administrative offices. Classes still meet in three classrooms on the second and third floors. One larger room of the building is currently used as a community training computer laboratory.
 

References:

Petersen, Peter L. A Place Called Dana: The Centennial History of Trinity Seminary and Dana College, 1884-1984. Blaire, NE: Dana College, 1984.

"A Very Brief History of Pioneer Memorial." Dana Review (Spring 2005).

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006