William Goodell Frost Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Named for a former college president, the William Goodell Frost building was a gift from Andrew Carnegie, a close friend of the College. In addition to serving as the college's library, the original building had a children's library and an extension library that from 1916 through 1943 went into surrounding areas by horse cart, bringing books to the county and the mountainous region of Kentucky. Archives and special collections were also housed there. A brick addition was added to the original limestone structure in 1935-1936, along with a Georgian-style library reading room designed by Charles F. Cellarius of Cincinnati. The reading room is modeled after the old Boston State house, revealing Berea's Massachusetts roots. Additional renovations took place in 1963 and 1997-1998. Today the Frost Building houses the departments of History, Psychology, Political Science, and Sociology.