Julia Maria Fairchild Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Julia Maria Fairchild Hall, erected in 1872, was the first building on the Berea campus and the first brick building in the area. Originally known as Ladies Hall until it was renamed in 1937, Fairchild was modeled after Oberlin College's Ladies Hall through plans obtained by former President Edward Henry Fairchild, whose brother was the president of Oberlin. The building has undergone several renovations--in 1962, 1973-1974, 1982, and a thorough renovation in 2000--and in its current form occupies 36,864 sq. ft. Fairchild has always served as a residence for female students, and today it also accommodates the Offices of Labor.