| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Lincoln Hall, constructed in 1887, was the first permanent classroom building on campus and has served many uses during its 120 years. The style of the building is closely related to Henry H. Richardson's Sever Hall at Harvard: fine brick work, a hip roof, and fire-proof vaults. The building was a gift of Roswell Smith of New York (publisher of Century Magazine), who requested that it be named after Abraham Lincoln. The building, which despite various interior renovations has remained structurally intact over the years, offers fine views of the campus quadrangle.
Berea College campus spreads over approximately 140 tree-covered, well-landscaped acres. The college was the first in the history of the U.S. established for the specific purpose of educating black and white together. As Berea's founder John G. Fee informed a friend in 1855, "We eventually look to a college giving an education to all colors, classes, cheap and thorough."
Lincoln Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings in February, 1975.
Berea College--Lincoln Hall. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.