Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Aspinwall Hall / Stone Row

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Bard College
Original/Historic Place Name: Aspinwall Hall /Stone Row
Location on Campus: on southern end of main campus road
Date(s) of Construction:
1862original construction; Aspinwall Babcock, Samuel
1884original construction; Stone Row (Porter and Mcvickar Halls) Haight, Charles C.
1891original construction; Stone Row (North and South Hoffman halls)
1925original construction; Stone Row (Hegeman Science Hall)
1926original construction; Stone Row (Albee Hall)
1987-1988original construction; Stone Row (Hegeman Annex)
Designer: Samuel Babcock; Charles C. Haight
Type of Place: Building group
Style: Other, Gothic revival, Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1862residence hall (Aspinwall)
1884-present (2006)residence halls (North Hoffman, South Hoffman, Potter, and Mcvickar)
1925-present (2006)faculty offices (Hegeman Science Hall and Hegeman Annex)
1925-present (2006)classrooms (including laboratory space, Hegeman Science Hall and Hegeman Annex)
1926residence hall (Albee Hall)
2005classrooms (Albee Hall)
2005faculty offices (Albee Hall)
2005faculty offices (Aspinwall)
2005classrooms (Aspinwall)
 

Narrative:
From the National Register report:

On Aspinwall Hall: This Collegiate Gothic, west-facing building was constructed in 1862 and is located on the southern end of the main campus road. "The front elevation is six-ranked with a central projecting pavilion, and it also features an ashlar foundation, red brick, 6/6 double hung sash windows with segmented arches and dressed stone sills, and a belt course in between the first and second floors. The projecting pavilion includes a steeply pitched parapet roof; the pavilions gable field includes a pair of narrow Gothic windows with foliated arches, a quatrefoil detail enframed by a lancet arch surround with hood; the windows include leaded glass; the first floor of the pavilion includes paired paneled doors within a Tudor-arched dressed stone surround."

On Stone Row: "This complex of buildings was constructed in five separate stages over the past century and a quarter. Chronologically the buildings include: Potter and Mcvickar in 1884 (dormitories); North and South Hoffman in 1891 (dormitories); Hegeman in 1925 (science classrooms); Albee in 1926 (classrooms and dormitories); Hegeman annex in 1987-88 (additional science classrooms and labs)."

"Potter and Mcvickar are divided into two units designed in a Collegiate Gothic style. The building is three-stories, and side gabled with a central gabled pavilion and flanking wall dormers. The front, west elevation is distinguished by two entrance bays. The materials of construction are rough-faced ashlar in irregular courses. The fenestration is regular with paired and single1/1 double hung sash windows (likely replacements) with dressed stone lintels and sills connected by dressed belt courses."

"North and South Hoffman are connected to the north side of Potter and Mcvickar. North and South Hoffman include details, materials, and massing identical to Potter and Mcvickar save the gabled pavilion and rectangular door openings; the door openings on North and South Hoffman are Tudor-arched. These four dormitories of Stone Row were designed by Charles C. Haight of New York City.

Hegemen is a three-story building in the Elizabethan style. It is engaged in the northeastern corner of Stone Row and oriented east/west with its primary façade facing north. The building is composed of uncut stone in irregular courses. The fenestration o the building is regular with casement windows in sets of two or three with transoms; the windows include dressed limestone surround with belt course connected the sills; the first floor has one-story, polygonal bays on the north and west elevations that project slightly form the main block."

"The Hegeman Annex is a three-story masonry wing which extends north from the north elevation of Hegeman. The addition is side gabled. It includes buff-colored brick and casement windows with dressed stone surrounds. It is surmounted by a slate shingle roof with parapet gable ends.

The Albee and Albee Annex wings extend east from Hegeman. The additions house students and faculty. The building is designed in the Elizabethan style and features: uncut fieldstone in irregular courses, parapeted side and cross gables, paired and single casement windows, and castellated towers. The additions are surmounted by a slate shingle roof with copper gutters."
 

References:

Hudson River Historic District [including Bard College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.

Kline, Reamer. Education for the Common Good: A History of Bard College--the First 100 Years (1860--1960). Annandale-on-Hudson, NY: Bard College, 1982.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006