Bahnson House Residence Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Salem Academy and College Infirmary was built in 1925 and named in honor of Salem's physician, Dr. Henry Theodore Bahnson. The building is an excellent example of the architectural style on the Salem College campus in the 1920s and 1930s. The one-story brick building includes features such as front dormers, Flemish bond brick walls with dark headers, segmental relieving arches at the six over six sash windows, and the Moravian hood at the north entrance. The building served as an infirmary for Salem Academy and College students until 2004, when it was turned into dormitory space for the College. Today the Bahnson House retains its original architectural features.
The Bahnson building's historical significance lies in the role it has played in Salem's campus history, serving students by providing health education and a medical facility.
Albright, Frank, and Frank Horton. "History of Properties in Old Salem." Manuscript. Siewers Archive Room, Dale H. Gramley Library, Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC, 1970.
Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Salem Survey 1997. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.
Hartley, Michael O., and Martha B. Boxley. Survey Files for Salem National Register Landmark District Proposal. Winston-Salem, NC: Old Salem, Inc., 1997.
Old Salem Historic District [including Salem College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1966.
Rauschenberg, Bradford L. Salem College Study. Winston-Salem, NC: Wachovia Historical Society, 1983.
Salem College Bulletin: Alumnae Record Issue. 6.1
Taylor, Gwynne Stephens. From Frontier to Factory: An Architectural History of Forsyth County. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, 1981.
Taylor, Susan. "Salem Campus Tour." [Salem, NC: Salem College], 1990.