Holladay Chapel (Old Chapel)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This is the oldest of one of only three family chapels in Westchester County, New York. It was built for the devoutly Catholic wife of Ben Holladay, who operated the Pony Express and the Overland Express Stage Coach company. Ann Holladay and three children were originally buried under the chapel, but their remains were relocated in 1919.
The Holladays were a colorful local family with ties to the West. Buffalo grazed on the grounds of Ophir Farm, and trees and shrubs from the West were imported and grown there. Holladay lost his fortune in a stock market crash in 1873; his wife died the same day.
Currently (2005) the chapel is a "stabilized" ruin. The college has hired a structural engineering firm and determined the building to be sound, although in need of renovation. The renowned architect Maya Lin has created plans and is currently overseeing the process. The Harrison Town Board granted all approvals and permits necessary to do so on January 13, 2005. In addition, within the chapel and surrounding area a "Living Machine" will be created, an organic system using all natural, micro and aquatic organisms to purify water flowing through a nearby stream (nicknamed Holladay Stream). John and Nancy Todd of Ocean Arks International developed the concept, and their company will oversee its implementation.
Gold, Anne. Ophir Farm and Manhattanville College. Purchase, NY: Manhattanville College, 2005.
Lucia, Ellis. The Saga of Ben Holladay, Giant of the Old West. New York: Hasting House Publishers, 1959.