Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Grotto

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Notre Dame de Namur University
Original/Historic Place Name: Grotto of the Blessed Mother
Location on Campus: next to the barn, a.k.a. Maintenance Building
Date(s) of Construction:
1924-1925original construction Sisters of Notre Dame
Designer: Sisters of Notre Dame
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: landscape, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1925-present (2006)outdoor space (for prayer and quiet)
 

Narrative:
The Grotto has been maintained since it was built. About ten years ago, the statue which had become worn by the weather was replaced and a small waterfall installed. The plants and flowers on either side of the path to the grotto are cared for by the campus gardeners.

The Grotto serves as a reminder of the origin of the University (Notre Dame Out Lady), as well as its spiritual dimension. Since the beginning of the founding of the school, the Grotto has been used for devotional processions from the elementary and high school students and is also a place of quite prayer.
 

References:

Selected papers. Site documentation. Office of the Vice President of Administration, Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006