Walter K. Greene Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
At the time of its construction in 1950, Greene Hall was surrounded by a section of the campus designed in the red-brick Georgian style popular in the first half of the twentieth century. The dorm, while not particularly imaginative, is a pleasing example of this style that has stood the test of time well.
Through Wofford's first hundred and fifty years, Walter K. Greene (class of 1903) has been the only alumnus or alumna to serve as president of the college (1942-1951). He inherited a physical plan with aging and neglected buildings that were inadequate for a college facing a large influx of GIs after World War II. He is credited with developing the first master plan for the college ("The Wofford of To-morrow"), and moved forward with an extensive program of renovations and improvements of the campus. A new cost-effective residence hall was central to his strategic plan, and Greene Hall has proved to be a durable and attractive building that continues in active use more than half a century later. The large and comfortable wood-paneled lobby is a popular gathering place.