Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Snyder House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wofford College
Original/Historic Place Name: Original Faculty Home
Location on Campus: College Dr. (429 N. Church St., Spartanburg, SC 29303-3663)
Date(s) of Construction:
1854original construction Clayton, Ephraim
Designer: probably Ephraim Clayton, contractor for the campus
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Walls: brick (painted white) over wood frame
ca. 1854-1954other (faculty housing)
1956-present (2006)administration
1985-present (2006)classroom (for computer based instruction; also includes office space)

This is one of four identical campus homes, which are all fine examples of Southern middle-class townhouses of the 1850s. Notable features include the floors, mantles, stairs and other woodwork. Additions and conversion to administrative use occurred after World War II.


Brabham, William H. Wofford College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1974.

Snyder, Henry Nelson. An Educational Odyssey. New York: Abington-Cokesbury Press, 1947.

Wallace, David Duncan. The History of Wofford College, 1854-1949. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press, 1951.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006