| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Edgar Hall was named for the Rev. Dr. John Edgar, who was President of the College at the time of its construction. It was built in the summer of 1894, in order to be ready for the College's twenty-fifth anniversary. The architect was John Augustus Dempwolf, of a distinguished architectural firm that designed many valuable Victorian and Edwardian buildings in south-central Pennsylvania and northern Maryland.
The building is a near twin to Norland Hall; they sit side by side, with a lawn between them. At the time of construction, they provided visual endpoints to a large structure called Main Hall, which was behind them. That building was later replaced by a more modern structure, Macelwain-Davison Hall. A covered walkway connects the rear entrance of Edgar with Davison Hall.
Longacre, Judith. The History of Wilson College, 1868-1970. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, 1997.
Reed, Paula S. Wilson College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1995.