| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Fraternity row at Williams College comprises: Philip Spencer House (formerly Chi Psi fraternity designed by James Purdon, 1908/9), Belvidere Brooks House (formerly Delta Kappa Epsilon designed by Daniel O'Connell & Sons, 1961), Karl E. Weston House (formerly Phi Delta Theta designed by Squires & Wynkoop, 1907), Perry House (formerly Alpha Delta Phi designed by Jerome K. Allen, 1905), and Hamilton B. Wood House (formerly Zeta Psi designed by William Neil Smith, 1907). These houses, with the exception of Brooks House--a later construction necessitated by a fire that ravaged the original house--are emblematic of the fraternity life that so organized the social atmosphere of the college during the first half of the 20th century.
Although there have been renovations to each of the older buildings, the exteriors remain much as they were during the 1910s. Weston, in particular, was reportedly constructed from a prize-winning design and includes Rookwood Pottery tiles around several of the windows.
Schuyler, Montgomery. "The Architecture of American Colleges VI. Dartmouth, Williams and Amherst." Architectural Record 28 (December 1910): 424-42.