| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This structure, another Michael McInerney design, was originally a gymnasium. Its name invokes the memory of Belmont's Abbot, Bishop Leo Haid, O.B.S. (Order of Saint Benedict), and the generosity of his family. With its turret-like capitals, high narrow windows with gothic arches, and projecting bays, this Gothic-fortress-like building created an unusual setting for sports and school assemblies. The Haid was converted for use as a Student Center in 1970. In 1987 it was completely renovated, providing a ballroom and theater on the main floor, where the college's renowned Abbey Players, founded in 1884, perform plays and musicals. The entrance and plaza were created as part of the renovation. Another substantial renovation, including the addition of an open-air terrace behind the building, took place in 1997-1999.
Alexander, Frances P., and Richard L. Mattson. Belmont Abbey Historic District [including Belmont Abbey College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1993.
Baumstein, Paschal. The Art of Michael McInerney. Booklet. Belmont, NC: The Archives of Belmont Abbey, 1992.
Baumstein, Paschal, Beth Bargar, and Debra G. Estes. A Walking Tour of Historic Belmont Abbey. Booklet. Belmont, NC: Belmont Abbey College, 1997.