Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Wiley-Pemberton Complex

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wiley College
Original/Historic Place Name: H.B. Pemberton High School
Location on Campus: 711 Wiley Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
ca. 1920original construction Rodgers, George
2002renovation Geren, Preston
Designer: George Rodgers (Marshall), Preston Geren (Fort Worth)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/pre-WWII (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete beams, wood floor joints (1920s era); concrete (1950's and after)
Walls: exterior: masonry; interior: wood stud with plaster (1920s era); masonry interior and exterior (1950s and after)
Roof: built-up and single-ply membrane
 
Function:
ca. 1920other (high school classrooms, offices, vocational shops)
ca. 1920dining hall
ca. 1920-present (2006)administration
ca. 1920-present (2006)gymnasium
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (Community outreach services center, student support services dept., multi-purpose room)
ca. 2004-present (2006)facility management building (campus maintenance and storage facility)
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices
 

Narrative:
The Wiley-Pemberton Complex contains the original H.B. Pemberton High School, which was constructed in the 1920s with classrooms, auditorium, and office space. Soon afterward, additional classrooms were added to the north and south wings closely matching the original construction. During the 1950's, George Rodgers, a local Marshall architect, designed an east annex housing classrooms, gymnasium, cafeteria, and shop. A separate vocational building was constructed on the south side of the campus, and a football field and field house were located on the north side. In the 1960s, a west addition to the original high school buildings provided more classrooms, science laboratories, band hall, offices, and restrooms. Preston Green Architects & Engineers of Fort Worth, along with George Rodgers, designed these facilities.

Wiley College acquired the H. B. Pemberton property in December 1987 in a property exchange with the Marshall Independent School District. After the official transaction was complete, the property was named the Wiley-Pemberton Complex. Currently, convocation and social programs are held in the Robert E. Hayes, Sr. Auditorium, which was dedicated October 16, 1993, in honor of the eleventh president of Wiley College. Offices housed in the Wiley-Pemberton campus include: Student Support Services, Upward Bound, the Learning Skills Center, the Board of Trustees meeting room, the Division of General and Special Studies, The National Alumni Heritage Room, the Lee P. Brown Criminal Justice Institute, Choir Room, Band Room, classrooms, and faculty offices. Under the leadership of the sixteenth president, Dr. Haywood L. Strickland, the original 1925 north wing of the complex has been restored and renovated for use as a Community Services Center, including a gymnasium, Computer Literacy Training classroom, and Technology Place for Kids.
 

References:

Campus Master Plan Update. 2002. Office of Administrative Services, Wiley College, Marshall, TX.

Marshall (TX) Wiley Reporter. 1972-1973.

Wiley College Faculty Handbook. [Marshall, TX: Wiley College], July 2002.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006