Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
President's Home

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wiley College
Original/Historic Place Name: President's Home
Location on Campus: directly south of Administration Building
Date(s) of Construction:
1908original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: masonry piers, wood beams and joist
Walls: wood stud with original wood siding covered with exterior vinyl siding; wood studs with wood sheathing and gypsum board interior
Roof: asphalt composition shingles
 
Function:
1908-present (2006)president's house
 

Narrative:
The oldest building on campus, the President's Home has been the official residence of the College President since 1903. Built by students, it is a large, thirteen-room, two-story wood-framed structure of classic design located in the northeast section of the campus. As noted in the Wiley College Reporter, May 1, 1930, "While this structure has served the purpose very well in years gone by, the progress and evolution of the institution make it look antiquated and plans are a foot to build a new home …."

Although a new home has never been constructed, the building was completely renovated and redecorated during the summer of 1958. During 1992 the residence received a major renovation that included a handicapped-accessible ramp to the southwest entry. In 1997 a partial interior renovation and restoration was begun providing a definition of the original southwest exterior porch from the interior, restoring the President's study on the first floor and adapting the space to a family room, updating the kitchen and making the first-floor bath handicapped accessible. Second floor improvements included relocating the President's study from the first floor to the west bedroom, relocating the utility/laundry room from the first floor, and the renovation of the master bedroom bath and closets.

During the administration of Dr. R. E. Hayes the house was designated a Registered Texas Historic Landmark. Over the years it has been given the fond name of "The White House," in reference to the traditional home of the President of the United States in Washington, D.C. It continues to host special social events held in its spacious reception rooms.
 

References:

Campus Master Plan Update. 2002. Office of Administrative Services, Wiley College, Marshall, TX.

Freedmen's Aid and Southern Education Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Annual Report, 1888.

Marshall (TX) Wiley Reporter. 1972-1973.

Wiley College Catalog. [Marshall, TX: Wiley College], 2002-2004.

Wiley College Catalog. [Marshall, TX: Wiley College], 1992-1995.

Wiley College Faculty Handbook. [Marshall, TX: Wiley College], July 2002.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006