Robert Lee Stowe Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Initial construction began on the College Building, now Robert Lee Stowe Hall, in 1886 and was completed in three stages in 1886, 1888, and 1898, with the gothic tower added in the final stage. A portico was added to the main entrance in 1902. The building, with its slight trim and spare ornamentation, is a mixture of Gothic revival and American Benedictine styels. After two-thirds of the building was destroyed by fire in 1900, it was rebuilt according to the original plan under the supervision of Michael McInerney.
The building originally housed all the offices and functions of the college. Today, in addition to classroom and storage space, Stowe Hall is host to a number of college administrative offices, including the Office of the President, the Admissions Office, the Office of Financial Aid, the college Registrar, and the Office of Academic Affairs. The Tim L. Harris Center, a high-tech video conferencing and computer center, is located on the third floor.
Alexander, Frances P., and Richard L. Mattson. Belmont Abbey Historic District [including Belmont Abbey College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1993.
Baumstein, Paschal, Beth Bargar, and Debra G. Estes. A Walking Tour of Historic Belmont Abbey. Booklet. Belmont, NC: Belmont Abbey College, 1997.