Harriet Cheney Cowles Memorial Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Harriet Cheney Cowles Memorial Library was built in 1948 as a memorial to Harriet Cheney Cowles, the wife of the late William Cowles, Sr. Funding was provided by the Cowles family, which remains one of the most prominent families in eastern Washington.
In 1968 and 1991, west and east wings were added to the central structure. Architect Carl Vandyne designed the west wing in 1968. The 1991 addition, designed by Ben Nielsen, added an entire east wing to the library. The Gothic revival style was complemented by large circular windows on the east side, as well as large windows on the north and south sides of the building. The library dominates the center of the campus.
Gray, Al. Not By Might: The History of Whitworth College. Spokane, WA: Whitworth College, 1965.
Soden, Dale E. A Venture of Mind and Spirit: An Illustrated History of Whitworth College. Spokane, WA: Whitworth College, 1990.