| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Ballard Hall, constructed in 1914 as the second major building on campus, was originally named the Young Men's Dormitory. It opened with housing for fifteen men, and was completed by 1915. In addition to men's housing, it also contained the president's office, the cashier's office, classrooms, and the biological laboratory.
In 1924, the name of the building was changed to Ballard Hall after Captain W. R. Ballard, a longtime trustee of the college from Seattle. On March 8, 1927, in the early morning hours, Ballard Hall was completely destroyed by fire. Fortunately, all of the students escaped without harm, and stood outside in the winter night singing the alma mater. A new building modeled on the original structure was begun in August and dedicated in December of the same year.
In the late 1930s, women moved into the dorm and men moved to a dorm off-campus. In the early 1950s, the president's office moved to McEachran Hall and the remaining rooms in Ballard were converted to dormitory rooms.
In 1988, Ballard was remodeled inside to preserve its historic character. It continues to serve as a women's dormitory with a rich tradition among the students at Whitworth College.
Gray, Al. Not By Might: The History of Whitworth College. Spokane, WA: Whitworth College, 1965.
Soden, Dale E. A Venture of Mind and Spirit: An Illustrated History of Whitworth College. Spokane, WA: Whitworth College, 1990.