Victor F. Deihl Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The building was originally named for Addison Naylor, then the president of the First National Bank of Berkeley. He was the largest single donor to the college during a pre-World War I fundraising campaign, and a member of the Society of Friends who had been active in the founding of the Whittier Academy, a predecessor to the college, during the 1880s.
Renovated in 1997, the building was renamed at that time to honor Victor F. Deihl, an early faculty member who was a professor of both economics and English literature and also served as a coach for debate and public speaking. Funding for the work was provided with the assistance of Richard and Billie Deihl, philanthropists who were members of the classes of 1949 and 1950 respectively. They were instrumental in fundraising that led to the complete renovation of this facility in 1998. Deihl has served as a long-time member of the Whittier College Board of Trustees and is a former CEO of the H.F. Ahmanson & Co., then a major Southern California financial institution. The architect for the renovation was William Loyd Jones of Los Angeles.
The Naylor name has remained on the building, with the south portico known as "Naylor Portico."
Arnold, Benjamin F. History of Whittier. Whittier, CA: Western Print Corporation, 1933.
Carter, Coila. "History of Whittier." B. A. thesis, Whittier College, 1908.
Cooper, Charles W. Whittier: Independent College in California. Los Angeles, CA: Ward Ritchie Press, 1967.
Cooper, Charles W. The A. Wardman Story. Whittier, CA: Whittier College, 1961.
Elliott, Charles, Jr. Whittier College: The First Century on the Poet Campus, a Pictorial Remembrance. Redondo Beach, CA: Legends Press, 1986.
Feeler, William Henry. History of Whittier College. M. A. thesis, University of Southern California, 1919.
Harris, Herbert Eugene. The Quaker and the West: The First Sixty Years of Whittier College. [s.l.:] Whittier College, 1948.
Pearce, Phyllis M., Claire G. Radford, and Mary Ann Rummel. Founders and Friends. Whittier, CA: Rio Hondo College Community Services, 1977.