Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Cazenove Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wellesley College
Original/Historic Place Name: Cazenove Hall
Location on Campus: Hazard Quadrangle
Date(s) of Construction:
1904-1905original construction Schweinfurth, J. A.
Designer: J. A. Schweingurth
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: granite block
Walls: brick, white limestone trim
Roof: slate
 
Function:
1905-present (2006)dining hall
1905-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
From the Massachusetts Historical Commission report (1989): Cazenove Hall is situated on the northwest side of the Hazard Quadrangle and is a mirror image of Pomeroy Hall. This large brick dormitory, built on a granite foundation, is comprised of four pas. The five-story tower faces Central Street and has a large three-story dormitory wing projecting south, forming the west wall of the Quad, and a small two and three-story residential wing (formerly the servants' wing) projecting west away from the Quad. The fourth part of the dormitory is the 1919 link connecting Cazenove to Pomeroy Hall.

The most prevalent features of the tower are the four, copper-roofed, curvilinear turrets. THe crenelated tower parapet, the white stone quoins of the polygonal tower corners, the stringcourses, the greys tone, diamond patterns int he brick walls, and the rustication of the first two stories of the tower provide variety and texture to the overall design.

The public interior spaces include the dining room on the first floor and the living room on the scond floor. Both are located in the tower and have corner niches, large fireplaces, and window seats in the tower projecting bay. Leaded glass windows are found in the main entrance hall. There are also stained glass inlays of seals with ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian designs related to learning.

Built in 1905, Cazenove Hall was the second dormitory of the Quadrangle to be constructed. It was financed by Mrs. Henry Fowle Durant, a trustee and co-founder of the Wellesley College with her husband, Henry Fowle Durant. The Durants established a policy of not naming any properties in honor or in memory of their Durant name. Therefore, her mother's maiden name of Cazenove was chosen for the second dormitory.

See also Hazard Quadrangle, Beebe Hall, Pomeroy Hall, Shafer Hall.
 

References:

Fergusson, Peter, James F. O'Gorman, and John Rhodes. The Landscape & Architecture of Wellesley College. Wellesley, MA: Wellesley College, 2000.

Horowitz, Helen Lefkowitz. Alma Mater: Design and Experience in the Women's Colleges from Their Nineteenth-Century Beginnings to the 1930s. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1984.

Schuyler, Montgomery. "The Architecture of American Colleges: X. Three Women's Colleges: Vassar, Wellesley & Smith." Architectural Record 31 (May 1912): 513-37.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006