Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Tate Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wesleyan College
Original/Historic Place Name: Tate Hall
Location on Campus: 4760 Forsyth Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1928original construction Walker & Weeks
Designer: Walker & Weeks (Cleveland, OH)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: poured concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: shingle
 
Function:
ca. 1928-present (2006)administration (including President's office)
ca. 1928-present (2006)academic department building (humanities, social sciences)
 

Narrative:
Tate Hall, made possible by a gift from the late Colonel Sam Tate of Tate, Georgia, contains classrooms for English, history, modern languages, religion, philosophy, sociology, business, economics, and education. The President's Office and other administrative offices are located in Tate Hall. It is an excellent example of Georgian architecture.
 

References:

Akers, Samuel L. The First Hundred Years of Wesleyan College, 1836-1936. Macon, GA: Wesleyan College, 1976.

Miller, Margaret. "The Founding and Early History of Wesleyan College." M. A. thesis, University of Georgia, 1935.

Quillian, William Fletcher. A New Day for Historic Wesleyan. Nashville, TN: Printed for Wesleyan College, Publishing House Methodist Episcopal Church, [1928?].

Rees, Frances. "A History of Wesleyan Female College from 1836 to 1874." M. A. thesis, Emory University, 1935.

Thomas, Kenneth H., Bamby Ray, and Lynn Speno. Wesleyan College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2004.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006