Front Lawn/Front Campus
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The front campus of Washington and Lee, including the Colonnade (1820-1842), four faculty houses (1842), Newcomb Hall (1890), the Lee House (1868), and Lee Chapel (1868) is a virtually intact grouping of mid-nineteenth century college buildings with much of the original landscaping still in place. A campus plan by Theodore Link, prepared in 1904, preserved the front campus by organizing future growth along a narrow "mall" to the rear of the original college buildings. Link's plan is an excellent example of forward-thinking planning to preserve the historic and cultural resources of the college.
The entire front campus has been designated as a National Historic Landmark, and the Lee Chapel is also listed separately in the National Register.
Dober, Richard P. Campus Design. New York: John Wiley, 1992.
Klauder, Charles Z., and Herbert C. Wise. College Architecture in America and Its Part in the Development of the Campus. New York and London: C. Scribner's Sons, 1929.