Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Quad, The

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Bates College
Original/Historic Place Name: Quad, The
Location on Campus: Campus Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1855original construction
Designer:
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: education, history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1855-present (2006)other (the Quad is the central feature of the college and symbolizes Bates College; it is the primary location and visual backdrop for formal public events such as convocation, commencement, alumni gatherings, and informal meetings, study and relaxation)
 

Narrative:
As the original space for the College, the Quad remains its primary visual symbol. During a typical day students and faculty will cross and re-cross the Quad many times, even though the campus now includes half a dozen other main circulation areas.

Weather permitting, the school year starts with convocation and ends with commencement on the Quad, with those attending seated on the Quad facing the columned facade of Coram Library.

Originally planed with a grid of Dutch elms, the Quad today contains many of those original trees (which have survived through constant care) as well as newer trees of many species. A network of paths crosses the Quad in all directions, and park benches are located throughout for an occasional stroller to take a rest and for students who would prefer to study or perhaps write a paper under the shade of the Dutch elms and maples. The grassy area throughout the Quad is often used for picnics and social gatherings or for solitary reading or group classes outdoors. In the autumn the trees of the Quad offer a rich display of reds, oranges, yellows, and greens. During the winter months one can sometimes find artistic snow sculptures.

Significant historical buildings surround the Quad, including the Chapel, Coram Library, Parker Hall, Hedge Hall, Carnegie Science Hall, and Hathorn Hall.
 

References:

"Bates Campus Has New American Elm." [clipping, Lewiston (MI)Journal?], May 13, 1944.

"Campus Trees Named for Early Teachers." Lewiston (MI) Journal, June 17, 1939.

Goodall, George W. Jr. "Can Campus Elms Be Saved?" Alumnus: Bates College Bulletin (Summer 1974): 2-4.

Littlefield, H. "Seminary Grounds [letter to 'Bro. Cheney']." Seminary Advocate 2, no. 3 (1857): 1-2.

O'Brien, Rose. "Stately Trees in Bates Campus Called 'Cheney's Row of Sticks.'" Lewiston (MI) Journal, June 8, 1957: magazine section 3A-4A.

Provasnik, Stephen. "Bates' Timeless Trees." Bates: The Alumni Newsletter (Summer 1989): 1-4.

Sawyer, William H. Jr. "Our Campus Trees." Alumnus: Bates College Bulletin 14, no. 1 (1933): 1-7.

Tolles, Bryant Franklin. "College Architecture in Northern New England before 1860: A Social and Cultural History." Ph.D. dissertation, Boston University, 1970.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006