| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
From the National Register nomination form:
Completed in 1851, Hanna Hall, a colonial brick structure of classical simplicity, was the first building of Waynesburg College. Located on the college quadrangle, Hanna Hall is a three-story, rectangular red brick structure built in a simple Federalist style. The plain pediment supports a gabled roof topped by a wooden bell tower. The windows on all sides are set in recessed panels.
The building has been known by several names during its 120 year history: from 1851 to 1879 as the "New College;" from 1879 to 1896, when Miller Hall was under construction, as the "Old College;" and from 1896 (when Reverend William Hanna provided funds for its new roof) to the present day, as Hanna Hall. The original floor plan shows the first floor divided into four large offices and two classrooms. The second floor held a chapel and library, and third floor contained College Halls and libraries.
Beginning in 1885, a group of young men formed a club called the "Young Men's Boarding Hall." Under this arrangement, occupying Hanna Hall, the cost of living was about $2 per week. By 1890, all classes were taking place in Miller Hall, the new campus building, and Hanna Hall became solely devoted to a house for boarding clubs, giving rise to the "Hanna Hall Gang," whose story covers five decades from the 1920's to the 1950's. From 1912 to 1926, when enrollment at Waynesburg College dropped to the point where only the thrid floor was needed as a dormitory, the college leased the first two floors to the Waynesburg Public Schools for use as elementary school classrooms.
Hanna Hall is now home to the department of business administration and the Piatt Center, named for a major entrepreneur and friend of the college. Completely renovated and restored in 1990, the building has been equipped with state-of-the-art business technology. Since its completion one hundred and fifty-five years ago, the building as served continuously as an educational facility.
Wendel, Robert A., William H. Dusenberry, Edward A. Marotta, and Jerry L. Beasley. Miller Hall [Waynesburg College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1979.