| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Administration Building of the University of St. Thomas was built as a family home by J.W. Link. Link, a lumberman and financier from Orange, Texas, was founder of the Houston Land Corporation which developed the Montrose area. The house was designed by Sanguinent, Stoats & Barnes and built by the W.B. Young Contracting Company. It was completed in 1912 for an approximate cost of $60,000.
A departure from the colonial and mission architecture prevalent at the time, the house was designed to withstand the destruction of time, fire, and natural elements. All foundations are of reinforced concrete. Limestone from Carthage, Missouri was used in all the stone work. Glazed tiles cover the main roof.
In 1916, T.P. Lee bought the house from Link. The Lee family retained possession of it until June 1946, when the University bought the house and the block on which it sits as the initial property for the institution.
BGK Architects and H2L2. Revised Campus Master Plan. [BGK Architects, Austin, TX and H2L2, Philadelphia, PA], 2000.
Sechelski, Teana, ed. First 50 Years: University of St. Thomas, 1947-1997. [s.l.: s.n., n.d.].