| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
From the National Register report:
Glidden-Martin Hall, one of two excellent buildings that constitute the centerpiece of the University of Sioux Falls campus, was completed in 1929 after a fundraising campaign that began in 1922 with Josephine Glidden's gift intended to fund a women's dormitory. The architecture firm hired for the commission was Perkins & McWayne, a prominent Sioux Falls firm that had already designed several large-scale public structures, as well as a range of WPA projects throughout the state. The building is believed to be the last building in Sioux Falls constructed of Sioux Quartzite, a lavender-pink variety of Jasper Quartzite indigenous to the Sioux Falls area.
Glidden-Martin Hall has been maintained and in consistent use since it was built. Although its interior has been renovated several times to accommodate varying uses, at least part of the building was used as a dormitory from 1929 to 2001. The most recent renovation in 2001-2002 converted the structure to an academic building. While the building was named to the National Registry of Historic Places, the designation may be removed in the future, as the South Dakota Office of Historic Preservation decided to disagree with the recent renovation plans after construction was nearly completed.
College Messenger. 1909-1910.
Jeschke, Reuben P. Dreams of the Pioneers: A Brief and Informal History of Sioux Falls College, in Commemoration of its Seventy-Fifth Anniversary. [s.l.: s.n.], 1958.
Schwan, Lynda B. Glidden-Martin Hall [University of Sioux Falls]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2000.
University of Sioux Falls Alumni Association. Cross Sections 2, no. 1 (Fall 1998).