Pew Learning Center and Ellison Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Library was built in 1964 and the lower floor enclosed in 1965 with funds provided by the Public Welfare Foundation, the Rachel Grace Estate and the Warren Wilson Development Fund. The lower level terrace was enclosed as a reading room in 1978. An extension was completed in 1985 with gifts from the J. Howard Pew Freedom Trust and Public Welfare Foundation. A major renovation was done in 1999 with gifts from the Dornick Foundation, Inc.; Claude D. Vannoy; alumnus of 1935; Howell T. Ferguson, Chair Board of Trustees Warren Wilson College; Hillsdale Fund, Inc.; Kathleen Price Bryan Family Fund; Trustees, Arthur S. Link, and Mr. and. Mrs. Charles F. Cole. The architect for this major renovation was Steve Ferrell of Ferrell and Hargrove, Asheville, North Carolina.
In addition to the library, the building now houses the archives of the college, and has reading/study rooms and a computer center.
Holden, Reuben A. Warren Wilson College: A Centennial Portrait. [Swannanoa, NC: Warren Wilson College,] 1994.
Jensen, Henry W. A History of Warren Wilson College: On the Occasion the College's Eightieth Anniversary. [s.l.: s.n.,] 1974.
Martin, Elizabeth G., comp. The Buildings of Warren Wilson College. [s.l.: s.n.,] 1972.